google

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A simple squirrel proof bird feeder?


If there is such a thing?

I found that I could actually build such a thing, only the first few were a challenge keeping the birds out of harm's way while doing so.

One must remember that woodpeckers land on the side then go into the feeder OOPs!

This newest one has a 1 1/2" PVC pipe 8' long, you make it your size remember you need to keep the feeder full.

With a 1 1/2" PVC coupling on top placed into the ground about 10"

A 2' section of pipe into the other end of coupling, again remember that you need to reach for replacing bird seed.

A little cleaner and PVC glue to hold each piece in the coupling.

I used an old plant pot 10" cut a 1 1/2" hole in the center of the bottom and, upside down slid it onto the top pipe down to the coupling and glued in place

I used some scrap wood and made a 16" X 16" (the size is up to you the builder) to made a messy bird seed catcher with 4" sides.

Drill and/or saw a 1 1/2" hole in the center of the wooden seed holder and slide it onto the top pipe down to the plant pot that is upside down on the coupler and glue in place.

I painted everything and when dry replaced the old setup.

I took the old, hardware store guaranteed squirrel proof green feeder and stuck it on top because it was getting late and the birds were very rowdy.

The thing was squirrel proof, for about 1/2 hour!

If I ever find a down time when the birds are not eating I plan on painting that to match the rest.

Oh by the way, 7 squirrels show up as soon as I left and have been trying to get into the feeder, so far so good?


No comments:

Post a Comment